Sunday, August 12, 2012

Let's Meet: Mark Kotte

Name: Mark J. Kotte
Nickname:
Current Occupation: Director of the Law and Justice Commission
Current Location: Hudson, IL
Family: Married to my beautiful wife, Theresa. I have two wonderful daughters: Michele who is 30 years old and lives in Printers Row in Chicago and Lynn who is 24 and a senior at Illinois State University. I have two brothers: John and Jim and four sisters: Linda, Barbara, Jan, and Diane. All seven of us Kotte kids attended Camp Grow, but I have the longest unbroken record: 43 years!

Interests/Hobbies:  I like to work out, camp, hike, scuba dive, read history and physics books. Oh yeah, I like coming up and putting the pier in every year with my crazy pier boys.

 
How did you learn about Camp Grow?: Well, back in the late 50's when the old Chicago Baptist Association was looking to buy a camp, my father, Frank Kotte, was on the search committee and assisted with the original purchase of Camp Tichora from the Boy Scouts, which then became Camp Grow. When my two older sisters, Linda and Barbara, were old enough, they attended Camp Grow. From their experiences, I couldn't wait to attend myself.


Camp Grow Position:  I have been a lifeguard, a maintenance worker, kitchen staff, counselor, and camp director.

What are your favorite camp memories?:  I have way too many to list here, but I will list a few. I always loved the campfires at Camp Grow. Huge fires, beautiful stars in the skies, and wonderful songs to sing. I especially enjoyed committment night. I also have great memories of being at the waterfront swimming, boating, skiing, etc. But my favorite Camp Grow memory is when I proposed to my future wife, Theresa, down at the waterfront on the old pier while sitting on the diving board. It was a beautiful night that I will never forget.

In what way(s) has camp impacted your life?:  I had already accepted Jesus as my Lord and Saviour before I attended Camp Grow, but through my experiences at camp, I developed a deeper relationship with Christ. Also, some of the most influential people in my life, I met at Camp Grow. I am so thankful for the men and women who had such a positive impact on my life.

How do you stay connected with Camp Grow?:  Currently, I serve on the board for Camp Grow Ministries. I also attend work weekends and usually the fall Harvest Moon weekend. And of course, there is always the annual pier weekend where my best friends and I put in the pier in the spring and then take it out in the fall.

Any last words?:  Over the years, I have seen Camp Grow change quite a bit: new buildings built, old buildings torn down, a 12 week summer program evolve into a year round program. But the one thing that stay the same are the mission of Camp Grow: Finding God's Purpose For My Life. I find this mission statement staying true in the people who attend and serve at Camp Grow -- whether they are looking for God's purpose in their own life or whether they are helping others find God's purpose in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment